Everything about this loaded Tempeh BLT sandwich makes my mouth water–delicious sourdough bread, creamy chive sunflower spread, super fresh Brick Street Farms baby greens and sprouts, smoky/savory tempeh “bacon”, and juicy in season tomatoes.
TEMPEH BACON + VEGAN BLT
MAKES 4 sandwiches
COOKTIME: 25 minutes
AUTHOR: Sarah Subrize
For Tempeh “Bacon”
1/2 package old florida tempeh
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3-4 tablespoons oil, for frying
For the “BLT” Sandwiches
1 batch Smoky Baked Tempeh Bacon
1 container sunflower cream cheese
2 Tablespoons chives, chopped
8 slices sourdough bread
1 package baby greens (use can use romaine, baby kale or red leaf lettuce)
3 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
1 package of sprouts
1. Prepare the tempeh: on a cutting board, slice the tempeh into 1/4-inch slices.
**Steam the sliced tempeh: place the slices in a steamer basket and set over a pot with 1-inch of water. Bring the water to a simmer, cover, and let steam for 5 minutes. This helps it become less bitter, tenderizes it, and helps it to soak up more flavor from the marinade. **this step is optional, but recommended
3. To make the marinade: combine the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, pure maple syrup, and smoked paprika in a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine.
4. Place the tempeh strips in a shallow container, and cover with the marinade. Make sure they are all coated well and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours up to overnight.
5. Once marinated for as long as you prefer, warm a few tablespoons of oil (olive oil or avocado oil) in a large pan over medium heat. Add the tempeh in a single layer to the pan, and fry on each side for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Remove, and continue frying until all the tempeh is cooked. For even more flavor, add a few tablespoons of the leftover marinade at the end and stir until coated. Remove from pan and let the tempeh “bacon” cool slightly before you use it.
6. To make your sandwiches: toast your bread, layer with chive sunflower cream cheese (mix 1 container sunflower cream cheese, chopped chives and lemon juice), tempeh “bacon”, Brick Street Farms Baby Greens, Brick Street Farms Sunflower Sprouts, sliced tomato and optional avocado.